Sunday, August 19, 2012

PICKLING QUEEN

This Summer after years of procrastinating, I did a LOT of pickling. I started off with a beets and did about 6 jars. We'll probably eat them all but I could still end up getting more beets before the end of Summer/Fall. My Mother-in-Law taught me how to make pickled beets many years ago. We use DH's Grandma Phillips' recipe. Best I've had. Also the recipe that got me a 3rd place at the fair this year out of 9 jars. I've been lucky the last couple years that a local girl shares her extra beets with me but this year I bought a bunch at one of our Saturday Farmer's Market. If I do get more beets, I'll definitely pickle them or shred them for borcsht.
I also decided to do pickled carrots this year as well. My friend Jill gave some to the kids and they loved them. So again, Saturday morning trip to the farmers market and we have pickled carrots. The kids have already eaten two jars.
Then I did pickled beans!!! First time ever. My new neighbor and I both love caesars and she told me you had to have one with a pickled bean. After she sliced her finger open a couple weekends ago and I watched her kids for her while she went to get it sewn up she made me a ceaser. She also brought me a bag of fresh beans. So I pickled us each a jar. Waiting to see what they turn out like. Then I did 20lbs of cukes which got us 20 1 quart jars of dills. I started first thing in the morning, had them done by 2:30 and then headed next door to the neighbors to help them lay 9 pallets of sod. DH & I have never been so dirty in our lives. The kids played well together from 2:30 till about 7:00 when we finished. We had a fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment