Tuesday, January 24, 2012

THE BIG GAME

Yesterday LM and his fellow Stars played their big game of the season. I'm not sure how it got so ramped up but I'm pretty sure I know! I would have to see a rivalery started between kids at such a young age when these kids have many years to go playing against each other. And who knows, they may miss out on good friendships - all because of a hockey game.

Being that it was Monday, Kettlebell class, I missed that as well. The teacher is our coach and I know the boys missed her and her support on the bench. This Mom will be kettlebelling this afternoon in the living room for an hour or so.

Anyways, we headed to Boissevain. DH and I were a bag of nerves. LM was playing in net. This would have been his 7th game in net this season! Not a whole lot but enough.

He faced more shots yesterday than he has all season combined. The Boissevain team were very strong in handling the puck and they were really good at protecting their goalie. It was tough getting good shot on their goalie. It almost broke my heart though, towards the end of the 3rd period when LM was scored on and he hung his head! I don't know how many break aways that kid stopped yesterday but you can't stop them all.

LM was pushed into the net by a sliding player which was the highlight of his game, lol. He also took a shot in the side which had him on his knees for a minute or two and had DH out on the ice to check him out. Talk about scare the hell out of your Mom.

Long story short, we lost. But as the parent of a goalie I have to say that yesterday, even though the team lost, LM played his best game ever. He made some amazing saves. Two Mom's from the other team stopped to tell me that as well.

Today while LM is at school I'm a little nervous about what he's being told. I know there is one in particular that is very quick to let LM know if he feels he's let in a bad goal. He did it yesterday during our break. If he does it today, I'll be speaking to this child's mother because, I've had enough of the bad attitude. I believe that children need to learn the team support part of the game as well. They also need to be reminded that, you play as a team and you lose at a team.

That being said, I can't say enough for the great parents on the team that are always showing support towards all the kids. What a great bunch.

I find myself asking myself the same question over and over again lately. What possesses a child to decide they want to be a goalie? Why would you do that to your Mom? A couple months ago a man in Rolla, ND when I was picking up LM's pads "said your son's are a goalie. Is he ADHD?"

This weekend, tourney in Altona. Looking forward to a night away, more great hockey with a bunch of great kids and a visit with a fellow police friend we haven't seen for a long time. Not since his Sandy Bay days.

Off to clean this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment