Thursday, January 5, 2012

BANNOCK

Yes, this white German girl attempted to make bannock. I made it many, many years ago but never had anything to compare it to. We don't know if it was good or bad. But we ate it.

Years in Amaranth exposed us to all sorts of traditonal native foods. Yummy. One of DH's favorite was Duck soup with Bannock. Not my favorite but the bannock was very good. Another good one was the traditional bannock burger at all the races and events around town. And my all time favorite, homemade pizza with a bannock crust. So good.

Last week I decided I would try it. Not smart considering I was going to serve it with our New Years Eve meal and to a man who is married to a treaty Indian and knows what good bannock tastes like. But you know what, if it were crap, I'd know right then and there.

My bannock was a success. So much so that DH and the kidlets requested bannock dogs. Hot dogs rolled in bannock and baked. 24 bannock dogs later and another success.

Next on my list to try, Indian Tacos. I've never had them but heard they are very good.

Looks like this German girl can make a decent batch of bannock ;) Our dear treaty wife advised me that she was very proud of my attempt and accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment